This is an easy soup that is quick to whip up when you’re pressed for time. It is also a great “foundation” soup, meaning it’s great for adding a variety of ingredients to so you can enjoy it throughout the week and not begin to resent it
Why not cook up a big batch of quinoa or another grain to throw in with the soup. For the non-vegan/vegetarians- grill a chicken breast with some chili powder, salt, pepper, and cumin, dice, and add to soup! Grilled tempeh or tofu with those same spices would be equally as delightful.
I chose to use asparagus in a soup because I think it can sometimes become one of those monotonous vegetables whose only place is alongside a piece of meat for dinner. Boring!
Asparagus is also a spring vegetable- I love using what’s in season.
What makes asparagus so healthy? Not only does it contain an impressive array of vitamins (a, c, e, k…the list goes on), antioxidants, and minerals (including iron- which sometimes, for us ladies, is difficult to get enough of), BUT also it is a very low calorie vegetable with fiber to boot. Gooooood stuff.
ROASTED ASPARAGUS SOUP WITH GRILLED CORN
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 1 carton vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 3 TBSP chopped cilantro, fresh
- 1 tsp salt, more or less-to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1 cob of corn or 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 TBSP butter or vegan butter spread
- 1 tsp honey (1/2 tsp when grilling corn and ½ tsp in to soup)
- ½ cup Greek yogurt or crème fraise, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly coat asparagus with olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast in oven for 10 minutes.
- Sautee onion with olive oil until translucent, add garlic and cumin for the last minute of sautéing.
- Add onion mix and remaining ingredients, except corn, to blender/vitamix and blend until desired consistency.
- Add blended soup to pot and heat on stovetop.
- While soup is heating, grill corn (if using cob of corn, remove kernels with knife) in butter or vegan spread until slightly charred. Add ½ tsp of honey and a pinch of salt and cook for another few minutes.
- Add corn and some extra chopped cilantro to soup and serve!
I made some cumin-spiced croutons for the top of my soup- easy and delicious. Cut a couple pieces of bread into small squares, toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and cumin and bake in the oven at 425 degrees with your asparagus, until golden brown.