This cake is very simple to make, it just require a bit of patience while it sets in the fridge. But just set it and forget it! Go on with your wonderful day or sleep the night away and cake magic will be happening without you.
Whenever I browse food blogs I am always drawn to the cakes, it’s my thing. However, I’m generally reluctant to A) bake, and subsequently eat, an entire cake to myself and B) make cakes that are high in sugar, fat, carbs, and low in nutritional value. I often find that even the vegan cakes will use a lot of sugar (agave, maple syrup, honey, and brown rice syrup are still, in fact, sugar!) or replace flour with far too many cashews or other nuts for me to feel comfortable, knowing I will be eating half the cake immediately.
This cake solves these problems. To stretch a cup of cashews over an entire cake really means that per slice everyone will be getting, what, 1.5 TBSP of cashews? Not bad- I don’t love overdoing anything, nuts included!
The same goes for the sugar additions, very minimal, and because these sweeteners are less refined and processed than white sugar you can feel better about your choice.
If you are hesitant to have an entire cake staring at you from the fridge, this is an excellent “party cake” as the ingredients are relatively inexpensive and the grapefruit addition will have people thinking you’re fancy.
NO BAKE CRUST
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup whole hazelnuts
- 2 TBSP coconut flour
- 8 large medjool dates, pitted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- ½ TBSP coconut oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- In a food processor, grind rolled oats into flour
- Add hazelnuts, and coconut flour and process until course flour forms
- Add pitted dates, process until chunky dough forms
- Add remaining ingredients and process, dough should resemble a sticky graham cracker crust
- Add dough to greased pie dish or round pan
- With fingers, press dough to sides and evenly around pan
- Cover with foil and place in fridge to set while you are making your filling
COCONUT CHEESECAKE FILLING
- 1 cup cashews, soaked a couple hours, until soft
- ½ cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- ½ cup lite coconut milk
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 TBSP maple syrup
- 2 TBSP agave nectar
- 1 TBSP cornstarch with 2 TBSP water
- If using Greek yogurt- preheat oven to 350 degrees (see authors note for substitution)
- In a food processor, blend all ingredients, except the cornstarch slurry, until smooth and creamy.
- Mix cornstarch and water in a separate bowl to create a slurry, add to filling and mix through
- Pour filling over top of no-bake crust and allow to set for 30 minutes at room temperature
- Depending on ingredients used, either bake cheesecake for 45 minutes in oven, or put in fridge to set for 4-6 hours (or overnight!)
- After baking, cool completely, transfer to fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
- When ready, remove from fridge; apply grapefruit frosting, top with grapefruit glaze, toasted coconut, and pistachios (or whatever garnishes you’d like)
- EAT, EAT AND DON’T STOP.
To speed up the soaking of your cashews, you can boil hot water and pour over cashews, making sure they are covered, for an hour.
To make this a vegan dish, you can swap the Greek yogurt for another ½ cup of soak cashews. With this swap you can also make the whole dish a “no-bake” dish, without the Greek yogurt the dish will set in the fridge- no oven necessary!
- 6 TBSP coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (full fat or lite)
- 2 TBSP agave
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 TBSP freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- Pinch of salt
- In a food processor, blender, or with a handheld immersion blender, blend all ingredients until smooth
- Transfer to bowl and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight
When I removed the frosting from the fridge I ended up adding a splash of almond milk to loosen it up a bit.
- 4 TBSP freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 2 TBSP powdered sugar
- Stir ingredients together in sauce pan
- Heat on medium heat until thickening occurs (3-5 minutes)
- Drizzle over cake and ENJOY