I love using winter seasonal vegetables, and the peanut flavour is amazing in this stew. It hits all the bold flavour notes that we crave- salty, creamy, and savoury. It's packed full of vegetables including leafy greens. The yams are good source of complex carbohydrates. Your body takes longer to break down a complex carb into sugar -the primary energy source used by the body- so this keeps your blood sugar levels regulated, so you don't have an energy crash and cravings later.
YAM AND KALE STEW WITH PEANUTS
Makes: 6-8 Servings Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook/Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 TBSP fresh ginger, minced
- 2 large yams, diced about 1 in thick
- 3 vine-ripe tomatoes, diced and seeded
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup dry red lentils
- 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes, to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 cups kale, or other greens
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup green beans
- 1/4 cup green onion, to garnish
- 1/4 roasted peanuts, to garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add onion, let cook until soft- about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and ginger, let cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in spices- cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, cayenne, salt and coat onion mixture evenly. Stirring for 1 minute.
- Add diced yams, lentils, and tomatoes.
- Add vegetable broth, soy sauce, and coconut milk.
- Simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- Add peanut butter.
- Remove half of the stew, blend, then add back to pot.
- Stir in Kale, green beans, and cooked quinoa. Let simmer until kale has wilted and green beans are cooked- about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with green onion and roasted salted peanuts.